The PM Vishwakarma Yojana (PMVY) is a scheme launched by the Government of India (https://pmvishwakarma.gov.in/) to provide financial assistance to skilled artisans and craftsmen. The scheme aims to improve the economic condition of these workers by providing them with training, financial assistance, and marketing support.
The programme was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by PM
Modi approved the programme on August 16, 2023.
The objective of the scheme is to support the people engaged in traditional crafts. This
objective is driven by the desire to support the artisans and craftspeople financially as well as
to keep the age-old traditions and diverse heritage alive through local products, art and
A significant section of the workforce of the Indian economy consists of artisans and
craftspeople, people who work with their hands and tools, are usually self-employed and are
generally considered to be a part of the informal or unorganised sector of the economy. These
traditional artisans and craftspeople are referred to as ‘Vishwakarma’ and are engaged in
occupations like blacksmiths, goldsmiths, potters, carpenters, sculptors, etc. These skills or
occupations are passed from generation to generation following a guru-shishya model of
traditional training, both within the families and other informal groups of artisans and
Highlights of the PM Vishkarma scheme
- PM Vishwakarma Yojana will be fully funded by the Union Government with a
- financial outlay of ₹13,000 crore for a period of five years (FY 2023-24 to FY 2027-
- The Vishwakarmas will be registered free of charge through Common Services
- Centres using a biometric-based PM Vishwakarma Portal.
- The artisans and craftspeople will be provided recognition through a PM
- Vishwakarma Certificate and an ID Card.
- They will receive collateral-free credit support of up to ₹1 lakh (first tranche) and
- ₹2 lakh (second tranche) with a concessional interest rate of 5%.
- The scheme will further provide craftsmen with methods of skill upgradation
- involving basic and advanced training, a toolkit incentive of ₹15,000 and incentives
- for digital transactions and marketing support.
- PM Vishwakarma Yojana is expected to reach and bring prosperity to 30 lakh families.
- Eighteen traditional trades will be covered initially under PM Vishwakarma Yojana.
PM Vishwakarma Yojana aims to strengthen the Guru-Shishya Parampara or family-based
practice of traditional skills by artisans and craftspeople working with their hands and tools.
The scheme also aims at improving the quality as well as the reach of products and services
of artisans and craftspeople. The scheme is tasked with ensuring that the Vishwakarmas of
India are integrated with the domestic and global value chains.
18 Transtional Trades eligible for the vishkarma yojana
Objectives of the PMVY
The main objectives of the PMVY are:
- To provide financial assistance to skilled artisans and craftsmen for the upgradation of their skills and tools.
- To provide marketing support to skilled artisans and craftsmen to help them sell their products.
- To create awareness about the benefits of entrepreneurship among skilled artisans and craftsmen.
- To promote self-employment among skilled artisans and craftsmen.
Target Beneficiaries of the PMVY
The target beneficiaries of the PMVY are:
- Skilled artisans and craftsmen who are registered with the Government of India.
- Skilled artisans and craftsmen who are self-employed or work in the unorganized sector.
- Skilled artisans and craftsmen who are facing financial difficulties.
Benefits of the PM Vishkarma Yojana Scheme
The main benefits of the PMVY are:
- Financial assistance of up to ₹10 lakh for the upgradation of skills and tools.
- Marketing support to help sell products.
- Training on entrepreneurship and business development.
- Assistance in obtaining loans from banks and financial institutions.
Eligibility Criteria for the PMVY
To be eligible for the PMVY, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a skilled artisan or craftsman.
- Must be registered with the Government of India.
- Must be self-employed or work in the unorganized sector.
- Must have a valid bank account.
- Must be facing financial difficulties.
How to Apply for the PMVY
The application for the PMVY can be submitted online or offline. The online application form can be found on the website of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship. The offline application form can be obtained from the nearest skill development center.
The application form must be accompanied by the following documents:
- Proof of identity (Aadhaar card, voter ID card, etc.)
- Proof of residence (ration card, electricity bill, etc.)
- Proof of registration as a skilled artisan or craftsman
- Bank account details
- Self-declaration form
The application process for the PMVY is as follows:
- The applicant submits the application form along with the required documents to the concerned authority.
- The application form is scrutinized by the authority.
- If the application is found to be eligible, the applicant is issued a sanction letter.
- The applicant can then draw the financial assistance from the bank.
PM Vishkarma Yojana download PDF
Click here to download PDF form of PM Vishkarma yojana
Official Website – https://pmvishwakarma.gov.in/
The PMVY is a significant scheme that will help to improve the economic condition of skilled artisans and craftsmen in India. The scheme will provide them with the financial assistance, training, and marketing support they need to upgrade their skills, start their own businesses, and create jobs.
What is the PM Vishwakarma Yojana?
The PM Vishwakarma Yojana is a scheme launched by the Government of India in 2016 to provide financial assistance to skilled artisans and craftsmen. The scheme aims to improve the economic condition of these workers by providing them with training, financial assistance, and marketing support.
What are the objectives of the PMVY?
The main objectives of the PMVY are:
To provide financial assistance to skilled artisans and craftsmen for upgradation of their skills and tools.
To provide marketing support to skilled artisans and craftsmen to help them sell their products.
To create awareness about the benefits of entrepreneurship among skilled artisans and craftsmen.
To promote self-employment among skilled artisans and craftsmen.